The Thiruvaathirai star of the month of Markazhi is an auspicious star of Lord Siva. Abhishekams are performed to Lord Natarajar and his consort Goddess Sivakami on this day.
Although all Saivaite temples have a separate sannadhi for Lord Natarajar the following five temples are very important for this event.
They are the five dance halls of Lord Shiva
- The Hall of Gold - Kanaka Sabhai - Chidambaram
- The Hall of Silver - Velli Sabhai - Madurai
- The Hall of Rubies - Ratna Sabhai - Tiruvalankadu
- The Hall of Copper - Tamra Sabhai - Tirunelveli
- The Hall of Pictures - Chitra Sabhai - Kutralam
On this day, Sree Nataraja is prayed with sincerity. Doing Archana and Darshan on this day will bring all that is good.
Lord Natarajar is also taken out as procession on this day.